Sunday, September 12, 2010

Smooth moves

For the finale of Jonah's summer camp at the beginning of August, his group of campers performed a little dance in the camp's talent show. He'd practiced his moves for me a couple times at home, but with no knowledge of the song to which they would be performing, or what the moves were actually supposed to be, I had no real way to evaluate his talent. Come of the day of the show, though, I saw that my little Birdie is a very enthusiastic, and maybe even first-rate dancer (you can see a leader doing the moves at the end of the line of kids; Jonah's keepin' up with him). He knew the moves so well; I was so proud of him that, yup, I got a little teary-eyed. I couldn't help but brag to the dad sitting next to me that, "Hey, that's my kid!" Jonah was apparently his group leader's favorite camper -- she told me so! -- which may be why he was chosen to lead the train. Well done, Jonah!

(Wondering about the costumes? We were told to dress the kids in 70's clothes, though, really, who has bell bottom pants for tots? Not I! The leader also suggested vests and buttondown shirts, both of which I was able to pick up at a thrift store. We turned the patterned side of the vest in; Jonah declared that, "My vest is special, because it has bricks inside!" I love his innocence, that he doesn't know when a vest is, well, just a little ugly. The beanie hat, a gift from Gabe's boss, was Jonah's own idea. 70's?, maybe not, but just right for a J-Bird.)

No comments: