Wednesday, April 23, 2008

On not respecting Manny's dignity



Was it cruel of me to stop and take a few photos of Manny's mess before helping him out? Perhaps. But this was after Jonah had vomited three times before noon and after I'd changed his diarrhea diaper that had made me want to vomit. And then I hear Manny fussing, look down the hall, and realize, "That kid's got something on his face." So, naturally, I grabbed the camera and snapped away. Laugh or cry, folks, laugh or cry. Poor Manny. Though, really, he didn't seem too bothered by it.

Some good news! Manny is not, after all, allergic to cereal. We went to the allergist last Friday, and they did a full food panel on him. At this point, he's actually not allergic to any foods, though his immune system isn't fully developed at this point. With any luck, though, maybe I'll only have to be paranoid about one of my children around food. Sounds great! Manny definitely did have hives on his tummy a few weeks ago, but it must have just been a fluke, not related to the cereal. The allergist said that hives can appear sometimes after crying, or even if the baby has just had a "bad day." So we've resumed feeding Manny his rice cereal, which he is enjoying, though I think that he's ready to move on to something with a little more flavor. And since he just hit six months, we will certaintly accomodate him.

Like Jonah, Manny does have eczema, for which we're supposed to give him a 20 minute bath every day. I can only hope that the look on my face when the doctor said that indicated that I thought she was crazy. Twenty minutes! With a six-month old! Jonah has been known to take baths of up to 45 minutes, but he can sit up and dump water back and forth between bowls. I think that poor Manny's had enough of these twenty minute baths (actually, only a couple have made it that far), but we'll keep on it. His skin, though, does feel pretty nice.

At any rate, hooray for no allergies!

1 comment:

Mama K said...

Way to go Manny! Start pounding that cereal so you can sleep through the night again!