Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Uh-oh.

Katie and I took James, Jonah and Manny to the Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum on Monday; here's the aftermath:
Poor Jonah! He was climbing in the play area and was on top of the steps, about three feet up. I told him to "sit and scoot" and then turned for about three seconds to look behind me at James. I turned back around in time to see Jonah flying down the steps, land on his face, and flip over onto his back. It was really horrible. Of course, the first thing that flashed through my mind was, "He broke his neck!" That quickly proved to not be the case, and I could tell within the first several seconds after picking him up that he was mostly scared, not hurt. What an incredible relief. I don't think that he cried for much more than a minute, and then he immediately asked for a cracker. All tears were gone by the time we sat down with his snack, though my adrenaline was still pumping. I feel that we've had our share of scary moments with him; here's another one to add. I'm so thankful that he wasn't hurt worse and that the stairs were carpeted. I don't even want to think about what might have happened otherwise. His nose swelled a bit, but this rug burn is the only clue that he took such a tumble. Also injured, however, is my pride. I couldn't help but think that all those 40-years-plus moms (moms? grandmas? hard to tell, sometimes) in the play area thought to themselves, "And that's why you don't have babies when you're still a kid yourself." Gabe and I have been calling Jonah "Rudolph" for the past few days, which is the only way that I can refer to his injury without bursting into tears at the evidence of my carelessness. Katie reassured me a few minutes later by saying, "Good thing kids are made of rubber." Indeed!

We did manage to enjoy the rest of our time at the museum. The boys especially loved the butterfly exhibit. Too bad our cameras fogged up so much. Here's Jonah pointing out the butterflies to me, or maybe just waving his arm around with excitement.













And here's Katie hanging out by the one-fish pond with James. I think that James may have actually shed a few tears when we tore the boys out of the room. I'm thinking of building my own butterfly house. Maybe then James won't move to Texas. I think Jonah's going to breakdown in tears when James leaves; at the very least, I know that I will. (Ahem. Hunters, time to grab their lease!)




Manny spent most of the trip awake. He finally fell asleep, though no more than ten minutes before leaving. I guess it's probably a little hard to sleep between a new place, brother falling down steps, and brother's incredible excitement at polar bears, brown bears, ceramic bears, and butterflies. Hooray!

No comments: