Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Budding artist

Mama got really brave the other day during one of Manny's naps and decided to get out the finger paints. I thought Jonah might enjoy being allowed to get messy. I also wanted to shame him: He would witness my superior painting skills and then fail to acheive the same artistic vision that I so clearly possess. Unfortunately, his series entitled "Handprints and smears" displayed such artistic courage and depth of perception that I was the one who ended up in tears. To get even, I later challenged him to a foot-race, tripped him at the starting line, and gloated for the rest of the day. It's important to retain my "Alpha" status around the house. At least till Daddy gets home.

Can you tell that Jonah is actually upset in this picture? Do you think that it had something to do with the fact that I made him wear a trash bag that I insisted on calling a "smock"?

He's a bit unsure about this. I think he's confused as to why I'm actually encouraging him to smear him hands in this liquid-y stuff. Also confused as to why he can't eat it. Isn't it on a giant plate?
Still upset about the whole trash bag thing, evidently.
He finally managed to eat some. I'd be lying if I said that he only did it once.
All-in-all, a successful (though painfully short! Five minutes!) project.
"Handprints and smears" is on display in the Kitchen Gallery, an exciting new venue, through the start of the year. Admission by donation.

No comments: